bjoorn

Adding Moonga style PvP to SoG

Now that you are closing down Moonga :(. Would you consider adding a hot-upped version of moonga as a multiplayer mode in Spells of Genesis? This would actually make a tone of sense. Imagine grinding cards in regular SoG to use in the moonga style pvp mode. This could add more value to a broader range of cards and a PvP mode would add a lot of value to SoG. 

Edited by bjoorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasper Damman said:

@bjoorn Thanks for your idea! To make sure I understand it correctly: do you mean that we include the moonga gameplay in SoG? Or do you mean synchronous/real time multiplayer in SoG? (like it was in Moonga)

@Jasper Damman Yes, everyone i have talked to seems to think synchronous/real time multiplayer like Moonga in SoG would be a really neat idea.  Obviously this is a huge request of you guys, but think about it. Bringing real time multiplayer mode to SoG could bring lots of value to the game and add value to a broader range of cards, cards that hold little value today. And i personally like the idea to grind cards in regular PvE to use in a hot-upped PvP arena - moonga style. 

Hi Bjoorn, thanks for your idea. I agree it sounds nice, and speaks to the imagination. But there are quite some challenges:

- Realtime multiplayer does not perfectly fit mobile. As players can be distracted by their invironment easily. The rest of the game (turn based) is designed to allow these distractions.
- Realtime multiplayer requires a high critical mass of users. There need to be a lot of users online at the same time in order to have fair matchmaking. Also the servers need to always cooperate.
- If we do synchronous PvP, we should have as many users playing it as possible. This would involve removing single-player focused features. This is a huge risk.
- There are design implications. Creating a synchronous pvp requires quite some game design changes.
- We are looking instead to make asynchronous pvp more interesting. Working more in the direction of Clash of Clans, where players will be able to attack each others' designed levels

2 hours ago, Jasper Damman said:

Hi Bjoorn, thanks for your idea. I agree it sounds nice, and speaks to the imagination. But there are quite some challenges:

- Realtime multiplayer does not perfectly fit mobile. As players can be distracted by their environment easily. The rest of the game (turn based) is designed to allow these distractions.
- Realtime multiplayer requires a high critical mass of users. There need to be a lot of users online at the same time in order to have fair matchmaking. Also the servers need to always cooperate.
- If we do synchronous PvP, we should have as many users playing it as possible. This would involve removing single-player focused features. This is a huge risk.
- There are design implications. Creating a synchronous pvp requires quite some game design changes.
- We are looking instead to make asynchronous pvp more interesting. Working more in the direction of Clash of Clans, where players will be able to attack each others' designed levels

Hello @Jasper Damman

Sorry but I don't see the need to remove single player focused features or the asynchronous pvp features, they are not at all mutually exclusive with real multiplayer PvP? And i really missed a PvE feature in Moonga. I think PvE and PvP are a perfect match, WoW wouldn't have been such a success if it didn't have both elements. I could imagine that a PvP feature in SoG actually would keep people playing rather then logging off. I do agree that fair matchmaking could be a problem, but it could be solved with different leagues depending on what kinds of cards you have in your deck. If you have a deck with all common cards or all legendary could put you in a different league, much like a football team in a football league. 

I have never played Clash of Clans but i believe that a Moonga style pvp would be even less demanding for a distract-less environment then regular SoG PvE game play. 

Hi! @bjoorn

The reason of removing single player focused features is to drive more players to multiplayer, to create better matchmaking. 

For example if 80% of the time you play single player, and only 20% of the time multiplayer, we need 5x the amount of users for good matchmaking.

But in short: once SoG takes over the world and we have a huge userbase, we can discuss synchronous multiplayer. That is the same road that games like Clash of Clans did (they made Clash Royale on the success of Clash of Clans), Plants vs zombies(with their new cardgame), and warcraft(they made hearthstone after warcraft, in the same universe).

• Like 1