Sign in to follow this  
Skyvar

New player frustration

Hello all, love SoG,

Learned of you from a Touch Arcade article.

A note from a brand new mobile 4/20 player.

Wow just wow. First I have to make an account for the game (normal requirement) no problem. Done

Then download a different app for my cards and connect it (Okay.. little strange but I like collecting okay Done) Orb book thing installed.

Now start playing like a mad man. Blow all my crystals taking multiple cards to lv 2. (new player problems)Done.

Get to level after Purple Dragon.. hit the wall. I can reliably get 12 coin per stamina. 90 min to get 1crystal.....

Crap if I make it all day with my stamina I can update 1 common all the way...... I think.

OKAY GEMS....$10 for 1 epic, 1 rare plus, and three random.. okay... what happen to this Orb thing I am lv 7

BoO, you have no orbs. Okay, I am new, no problem, I can buy me some of these Orb cards.... bit crystals....

Bitrex, poindex, bitcoin, 3 more programs and a merchant that does not even have 1 bitcrystal...WTH

You have already lost 95%(I am not sure, this could be exaggerated but it is up there)  of the mobile market. While I am stuck plowing through a  2nd account creation to be able to post on your forums. I am left reviewing Eddys post on how he muddled through the headache of creating a fully functional game experience. By buying bitcoins to get on a market/exchange thingy to finally make it to a buying of bitcrystal and paying fees to buy the card(yes I understand trading fees). So many man hours of no enjoyment later I can hand you my money........ LOL good luck with that.

Do not get me wrong, I like what this game has to offer. But after some hours of frustration it is looking like my efforts to overcome the learning curve will be in vain because it will not have the player base for long term survival.

You wouldn't want everything linked to one account due to security reasons.  Sure its frustrating but collecting can be a lot of work.  Try rock rollecting!   This is much easier than carrying buckets of rocks.

9 hours ago, trustn01 said:

You wouldn't want everything linked to one account due to security reasons.  Sure its frustrating but collecting can be a lot of work.  Try rock rollecting!   This is much easier than carrying buckets of rocks.

With any type of collection hobby you accept what there are some aspects that may not be appealing. (Just a note: If you have to carry buckets of rocks you are not collecting, you are dredging) Like putting sleeves on Dominion cards and alphabatizing all the expansions into your custom case. These are actions that have additional cost and time associated with not playing the game but they are inheritly easy to understand and come with a lot of personal choice on how you do it. SoG has thrown the buy bitcrystal button at me which is a dead end leaving me to flounder like a fish on dry land. It touts owning your collection but new players do not see or have any cards in there BoO unless they get really lucky in a draw (and at this point I am not sure you can get a block chain card from a 20 gem draw or 40 gem (lack of info), are they bitcrystal purchase only? And to get those cards you have to muddle through getting the bitcrystals which the company does not help you get.

So let's break this down:

Common card A to quad fused happiness and my first Orb. (Grind fest)

Pull card A, take to level 3.  20 crystals.  Total : 1A, 20 crystals

Pull card A again, take to lv 3, 20 crystals, Fuse to get A+. Total: 2A, 40 crystals.

DO IT ALL AGAIN FOR ANOTHER A+, Fuse A+ to get A++. Total: 4A, 80 crystals.

This is once again where there is a lack of information and it is confusing it shows 3 levels in quad fusing, wood, silver then gold, but it says "Quad"fusing which can indicate four levels, or is it that you used 4 cards? I cannot tell because I have not been able to find the fuse paths online.

So if it needs one more fuse it would be: Total: 8A, 160 crystals.

At this point I can reliably bring in one crystal in 90min of stamina use. So 120 hrs of stamina or 5 DAYS of grinding to get the Orb of the common card if it is just 80 crystals. 240hrs of stamina or 10 Days if it is 160 crystals.  That is a pessimistic view, it can be sped up some if you crystallize rares (BUT which ones, they are rare and I am new with no notion of which ones to keep, one looks bad, but could level up well. I have to look each one up online), count the ad watching, use your bonus crystals/gold you get from quests, and level up refill.

I can spend all my stamina in less than 10min. Then I just wait... the flow and spend of stamina feels off. I want to play your game.

In summation: too little info, too little help, too much wait to play for 10min.

Hello Skyvar,

And welcome to spells of genesis.
Thank you for your feedback it's very useful.

I understand 2 issues that you bring

1. Difficulty wall at Purple Dragon

2. Complexity to get games orbs.

For the second one as you have understood it Spells of Genesis offer true ownership of digital assets and that is very revolutionary.
As for today we are aware that getting into having Bitcoin and digital asset is today a difficulty for users. Once you have bitcoin and use to it, is fairly simple to get orbs and other crypto currencies. But there is a difficulty wall getting the first bitcoins. Think a little bit of internet on it's very beginning, it was not simple to get online. Today is a basic commodity. We did our best so far to have the smoothest experience for new users but there are still barriers we need to overcome, for example it's not possible to sell BitCrystals or bitcoin trough AppStore or event for Fiat currency (EUR USD...) without having a banking licence. But we designed SOG for player to be able to play and enjoy the game event without ORBs. Allowing people to get their first ORBs free by playing and being slowly introduced to it.

Coming to your first point, we want to allow players to progress trough the game and it shouldn't be a difficulty wall but a smooth progression. I hear your concerns and tested myself and came to the same conclusion (we did a lot of balancing and re balancing to give fun to players who own super powerful ORBs and the one who doesn't) I will bring this issue to the team meeting tomorrow and we will quickly do something.
cc our game designer @Jasper Damman

By the way I'm willing to give you an some ORBs stuff to yet you kickstarted. Ill discuss it tomorrow as well.

• Like 1

Hi Shaban,

Similar to Skyvar's experience, I am also a new player to the game 'Spells of Genesis'. I enjoyed the game and I bought some gems to hopefully get some better cards in the game. Then i found out about Blockchain cards and how powerful they are, require no fusing and could even be interchangeable on different game platforms. Now I am having second doubts about spending my money in game rather than purchasing the blockchain cards straight of the bat because they allow greater specificity in deck customisation. Nevertheless, I tried to move on and look up ways on how to obtain Bitcoin and bitcrystals to purchase the blockchain cards. Unfortunately, it is as what you said where new players like Skyvar and me are really lost on how to get into the market of cryptocurrency in the first place..

I really want to own some blockchain cards but most of the tutorials available here are about how to link your game account to book of orbs or bitcrystal wallet and I really don't know how to get the bit coin with fiat currency (EUR, USD..) or get bitcrystal first..

I am really quite lost!  

Hello Skyvar and Nehe

Thanks for your feedback!
- In the short term we will increase the gold reward for the latest level of all star 3 campaigns (the ones you replay when you finished it). In this way you will quicker get new cards and increase the strength of your team through grinding if you are stuck in the higher campaigns.
- In mid-long term we will include new features, which will increase the rewards the players will get. Our first focus is an asynchronous multiplayer, which does not consume the stamina you use for playing campaigns, but has another energy system. These features will also bring extra rewards to the players.
- We are awaiting the first chuncks of representative data, after having a good amount we will tweak the blocking campaigns, making the difficulty curve more smooth.

• Like 1

Nehe, curently you cant buy BCY nowhere for USD or Euros.  Getting BCY ( Bitcrystals ) after you have BTC is simple. you can do it or on https://shapeshift.io/#/coins or https://poloniex.com/exchange#btc_bcy  in few 10 minutes.   But getting Bitcoins is harder. If you register in some exchange it will take days you will get verified. Maybe if available is best to use https://localbitcoins.com
Where I live I can get them on any gas station. You can use Book of Orbs to store them. 

What I find most annoying is that with my stamina I can only try a specific campaign 3 times at most before I run out of stamina. Would be nice to be able to battle 6-7 times before I run out of stamina. I don't mind tough encounters but I don't like to wait a long time before I can retry.

Thanks to Jasper and Febo for your helpful suggestions!

I decided to stick with in-game gems for the time being to play :)

On 25. 4. 2017 at 6:31 PM, Mizar said:

What I find most annoying is that with my stamina I can only try a specific campaign 3 times at most before I run out of stamina. Would be nice to be able to battle 6-7 times before I run out of stamina. I don't mind tough encounters but I don't like to wait a long time before I can retry.

You will need to level up more and be able to stack ore stamina

2 minutes ago, Febo said:

You will need to level up more and be able to stack ore stamina

Takes too long as a new player, many will lose interest before they get enough stamina. I am persistent and a hardcore player, but I think many casual players will drop out because progress is too slow in the beginning. In the very beginning it's okay because you level up fast enough to restore all your stamina, but after you reach lvl 7 or 8 things become too slow in my opinion. I have been stuck doing boss levels for a few days now, I have 19 stamina and am lvl 9 and can do 2x Purple Dragon + 1x Wood Monster and then I have to wait for a few hours to do the same again. I'm glad they at least increased the gold income yesterday.

• Like 1

Yes can happen that some people will not be interested playing the game.  But others will. I cant play game all day long but I can afford to play half hour every 3 hours.. 

Edited by Febo

On 4/23/2017 at 9:22 AM, Shaban said:

Hello Skyvar,

And welcome to spells of genesis.
Thank you for your feedback it's very useful.

I understand 2 issues that you bring

1. Difficulty wall at Purple Dragon

2. Complexity to get games orbs.

For the second one as you have understood it Spells of Genesis offer true ownership of digital assets and that is very revolutionary.
As for today we are aware that getting into having Bitcoin and digital asset is today a difficulty for users. Once you have bitcoin and use to it, is fairly simple to get orbs and other crypto currencies. But there is a difficulty wall getting the first bitcoins. Think a little bit of internet on it's very beginning, it was not simple to get online. Today is a basic commodity. We did our best so far to have the smoothest experience for new users but there are still barriers we need to overcome, for example it's not possible to sell BitCrystals or bitcoin trough AppStore or event for Fiat currency (EUR USD...) without having a banking licence. But we designed SOG for player to be able to play and enjoy the game event without ORBs. Allowing people to get their first ORBs free by playing and being slowly introduced to it.

Coming to your first point, we want to allow players to progress trough the game and it shouldn't be a difficulty wall but a smooth progression. I hear your concerns and tested myself and came to the same conclusion (we did a lot of balancing and re balancing to give fun to players who own super powerful ORBs and the one who doesn't) I will bring this issue to the team meeting tomorrow and we will quickly do something.
cc our game designer @Jasper Damman

By the way I'm willing to give you an some ORBs stuff to yet you kickstarted. Ill discuss it tomorrow as well.

Awesome thread and awesome reply.  It took me 2-3 days to get to the point where I could be sure how to get bit crystal and block chain cards, but then I realized how expensive even purchasing just ONE block chain card would be...seems to be at least upwards of $10 or more for even the lowest costing cards...just too much for my taste at least at this point(currently at Sia boss).  So I've resolved to settle for just in game cards for now, especially since there are some really nice ones even in game.  Instead I've spent $10 for the premium currency which has allowed me to actually play the game for more than just 10 min at a time and I am enjoying this.  But I also can't see myself continuing to spend $5-$10 every time I run out of premium JUST to be able to play longer than 10-15 minutes.  I know you guys generously gave us 25 free and so far one other quest/achievement for 10 premium, but will there be any other future chances to get premium currency or a change in the stamina system?  I am honestly obsessed with playing the game right now, even more so than I ever was all through the multiple beta builds....it's an absolutely great and engaging game, I love it.  I just want more out of it lol.  Thanks so much for all you do devs!

44 minutes ago, Tychaeus said:

I know you guys generously gave us 25 free and so far one other quest/achievement for 10 premium, but will there be any other future chances to get premium currency or a change in the stamina system?

10 fusions gets you another 10 gems.

I really enjoy playing the game at the start of launch, but I'm beyond frustrated right now.  I tried to buy some blockchain cards I like on the book of orb, but after 3-4 days the transaction is still pending on the book of orbs. Everyday I open the app just to see a full green bar with the word pending.... above it. I know that I made a mistake with my first few transactions because I put low fees so I bought some more bcy and put up another order with medium fee that's 152.393 sat/B which should be a few hours but it's been 3 days now and that order is still pending. What the hell is going on am I missing some important information on how this thing works?

Here is the transaction on blockchain.info with the medium fee the txs been pruned and readded so the date got updated to 4/27 but the buy order was placed on 4/25.

https://blockchain.info/tx/72f1fdcbdcaf17ffbc7e9c5b92fbbd5e7dd145d61a4c1046b9a7228c31ac813d

Can anyone help me I got 1244 bcy stuck on book of orbs right now because these transactions won't go through, this is seriously making me mad.

Edited by hah

19 minutes ago, hah said:

I really enjoy playing the game at the start of launch, but I'm beyond frustrated right now.  I tried to buy some blockchain cards I like on the book of orb, but after 3-4 days the transaction is still pending on the book of orbs. Everyday I open the app just to see a full green bar with the word pending.... above it. I know that I made a mistake with my first few transactions because I put low fees so I bought some more bcy and put up another order with medium fee that's 152.393 sat/B which should be a few hours but it's been 3 days now and that order is still pending. What the hell is going on am I missing some important information on how this thing works?

Here is the transaction on blockchain.info with the medium fee the txs been pruned and readded so the date got updated to 4/27 but the buy order was placed on 4/25.

https://blockchain.info/tx/72f1fdcbdcaf17ffbc7e9c5b92fbbd5e7dd145d61a4c1046b9a7228c31ac813d

Can anyone help me I got 1244 bcy stuck on book of orbs right now because these transactions won't go through, this is seriously making me mad.

I also have a transaction stuck for 2 days now, my fee was around 110 sat/B so a bit too low perhaps but still it shouldn't be taking this long. Not sure what's going on, I guess there is a long queue of transactions waiting. Today I made another transaction from a different wallet using 179 sat/B fee and it went through within 3 minutes.

1 hour ago, hah said:

ViaBTC Transaction Accelerator tells me that the transaction does not exist. Wanted to accelerate it for you.

57 minutes ago, BenRPG said:

ViaBTC Transaction Accelerator tells me that the transaction does not exist. Wanted to accelerate it for you.

Tried the accelerator but they're already at the limit. Oh well guess I'll just have to be patient and use a higher fee next time.

On 4/28/2017 at 0:18 PM, cdex said:

10 fusions gets you another 10 gems.

Yeah, finally got that one AND another 10 after another fusion reward.  So, so far 45 free premium currency.  Also, finally beat Sia a good while ago.  Here is my curent team, didn't have to use flame all after all:

IMG_0052.thumb.PNG.3742880337f8a3a4b64fe2deb03f3ccf.PNG

wow dude, how did you get so many in game legendaries? that's 4 that i count, also 3 copies of the merchant epic

Edited by WirelessKFC

I am still waiting on having 4 same epics. I am currently just keeping rares, epics and legendaries up to max 4 each. I could already create a quad fused rare och each type, however, I want to save my crystals for the epics. I have two where I already have 3 copies. After grinding just over 200k Gold, I have only pulled two legendaries. So it's still a very long way to get 4 of any legandary.

@WirelessKFCBe aware that some people may buy epics through gems. As you pull at least an epic, it means you get legendaries I would assume about every 5th to 10th card there. So of you would be willing to dump tons of cash, you could basically have 4 quad fused copies of each card already. I assume getting 4 or more of any would not make much sense. Probably only max 2 of each with speed 1 or lower, if you never want a team which doesn't go full speed.